Thursday, February 23, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Overload


Like any regular foodie, you hear things. Not to be misjudged as a schizo, I am only taking about the recommendations from other people about the best food that you can try out when you are new to a place. My theory is you gotta listen to your big-boned friends. They can talk about food with a certain decadence that your mouth would water just hearing about it.

Strawberry Shortcake Overload from Cookbook Kitchen.

I immediately placed the order as soon as I was directed to the seat by one of the waiters. It was a logical choice to order this with water. One, you know that it is going to be too sweet. Two, do I really have to you why you need to partner this with water? 

I waited in patience for my order. I had a glazed look on the pinkish table cloth like it was confusing me or something. In reality, the usual thoughts would run in my head: "Have I done enough sit-ups to deserve this?", "Who ever chose this table cloth??", "I so need to work out after this..." or "Is it me or am starting to think that the table cloth looks cute?"

And then it was served in front of me with a curious look from the waiter, calculating as to how I am going to fits this huge plateful of dessert into my skinny frame. You are probably wondering how it tastes like...

If you would judge from the picture alone showing a half-eaten Strawberry Shortcake Overload, would would probably guessed that I was too eager to dig a spoon in. You can smell the sweet and slightly sour scent of strawberries. At first glance, you would see a mountain of strawberry ice cream topped with frozen strawberries with syrup-y juice that washes down the ice cream mountain. this is topped with rich whipped cream and laced with the same thing on the side.

I immediately went for one of the frozen strawberries. It was sweet and sour at the same time. I dug a spoonful in to reveal a sponge cake; the bottom part of the cake is soaked in the same syrup that the whole thing is drizzled with. It is sweet because of the ice cream, slightly sour because of the strawberries, and balanced because of the cake. You must try your best to take a good bite with a little bit of everything for an explosion of flavor.

Though I may have given a decent review about this, I must tell you that this was devoured unglamorously. I was checking if one of the waiters were looking at me while i was enjoying this dessert. If I give myself a good pause to take a picture it would look like this:

*this pic taken from Cookbook Kitchen's Multiply site.

I am going to try out another version of the same treat: the Strawberry Shortcake MONSTERload. The difference? The new one is drizzled in chocolate syrup.

You can check their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cookbook-Kitchen/84763924654

If I am not taken by diabetes when I try that, expect another post about more delicious food that I can fit into this skinny frame. For now, indulge and listen to your fat heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment